National Mentoring Month 2011 Activities
This page highlights the many activities that local partners are planning for National Mentoring Month 2011.
Anchorage Mentoring Alliance
Mentoring Partnership of Arizona (Tucson)
- Mentoring Partnership of Central Arizona (the Phoenix local partnership of the Mentoring Partnership of Arizona) will hold a multi-program Thank Your Mentor Day Weekend Celebration Event. At the event, each Phoenix mentoring organization will host a table with a unique activity for matches, families and friends. Each program also will be asked to identify two mentors for the Quirky Mentor Awards (creative off-beat awards), which will be given out at the event. Also, the Mentoring Partnership of Arizona Mentor of the Year Award will be given at the event.
- For Thank Your Mentor Day January 25, we are coordinating a Thank Your Mentor Day card blast campaign, where each program will use the nationally produced cards for mentor recognition.
Arkansas Service Commission (Little Rock)
- The Governor has already issued a National Mentoring Month proclamation for Arkansas, and a photo shoot will occur January 25, 2011, including local mentors and mentees.
- The Division of Volunteerism has been approached to post information on their website and to provide information on plans for National Mentoring Month statewide.
Bay Area Mentoring/Friends for Youth (Redwood City)
- Friends for Youth is hosting its 12th annual mentoring conference, Share What You Know: Collaboration and Networking in Youth Mentoring, January 27 and 28, 2011, featuring Jean Rhodes, Ph.D., as the keynote speaker. For more information, visit http://www.friendsforyouth.org/MI-Conference.html.
- Mentors and mentees from Bay Area Mentoring programs will attend a taping in San Francisco of a new show on ABC7 called 7Live Monday, January 27, 2011, and the show’s shout-out will promote National Mentoring Month.
- Mentors and mentees from Bay Area Mentoring programs also will attend a Warriors game in Oakland Sunday, January 30, 2011, experiencing courtside seats for warm-up and a feature on the Jumbotron during half-time.
- Bay Area Mentoring will promote National Mentoring Month to programs using social media and networking tools and through a weekly newsletter announcement.
Children Uniting Nations (Los Angeles)
Governor's Commission on Community Service/Colorado Mentoring (Denver)
The Governor's Prevention Partnership (Hartford)
Delaware Mentoring Council
- In response to the great turnout in 2010, Connecting Generations and Delaware’s dedicated mentoring community are hosting a second annual Mentoring Summit in January 2011. Organizations throughout the state collaborated last year to make this a wonderful event. This year’s event will highlight Creative Mentoring’s High School Initiative, the Delaware Mentoring Council’s second round of grants and successful business mentoring partnerships.
Children's Services Council Mentor Center (Palm Beach)
- The local ABC television affiliate will run mentoring stories each Monday in January during the local news, profiling four different match pairs in Palm Beach County.
- Children’s Services Council Mentor Center will host two recruitment events at different locations in the county.
Florida Mentoring Partnership (Tallahassee)
Georgia Mentoring Partnership/Communities In Schools of Georgia (Atlanta)
Indiana Mentoring Partnership
Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service (Des Moines)
- The Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service is organizing Mentoring Day on the Hill and the Excellence in Mentoring Award ceremony at the Iowa State Capitol to raise statewide awareness of the positive benefits of mentoring and to celebrate the efforts of Iowa’s most outstanding mentors.
- The organization will secure a proclamation, press release and mentor recognition certificates from the Iowa Governor’s Office.
- Targeted social media campaigns and PSAs filmed in partnership with Iowa’s state universities will promote mentoring throughout the state.
Kansas Mentors (Topeka)
Big Brothers Big Sisters and The Maryland Mentoring Resource Center (Baltimore)
- A new initiative with the Mayor of Baltimore City to address mentee waiting list may lead to the Mayor beginning monthly visits to school-based mentoring programs to have lunch with students and encourage more adults to participate.
- The Baltimore Sun newspaper will chronicle a new match from the Mayor’s initiative and follow them for a year, beginning during National Mentoring Month.
- A Mentor Appreciation Event for Lower Eastern Shore Programs will be January 25, 2011, to recognize mentors in programs across the Lower Shore, build awareness of what those programs are doing and potentially recruit more volunteer mentors.
Mass Mentoring Partnership (Boston)
- Mass Mentoring Partnership’s Annual Youth Mentoring Day at the State House will be January 26, 2011, to celebrate and recognize community leaders, program staff and/or legislators who further mentoring in the state. The event also is an opportunity for event participants to thank their mentors, as well as an opportunity to create mentoring awareness in the State House.
- The Annual Youth Mentoring Forum at State Street Corporation will be January 21, 2011. This event provides an opportunity to celebrate National Mentoring Month by raising awareness about the strategic importance and impact of youth mentoring in Massachusetts via the release of new Mass Mentoring Counts 2010 data.
- Mass Mentoring will help mentoring programs statewide thank and appreciate their current mentors through an “appreciation toolkit.”
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit will join with law enforcement in January to kick off the 4th Annual 100 Mentors in 100 Days Campaign.
- In partnership with The Detroit Red Wings and The Detroit Pistons, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit will participate in Mentor Night at the Palace of Auburn Hills January 22 to celebrate Michigan Mentoring Month. The Detroit Red Wings are providing opportunities for BBBSMD Sports Buddies to watch the team practice and raise money at the game to support BBBSMD.
- On Saturday, January 22, the Detroit Pistons and the Palace at Auburn Hills will celebrate mentoring with their first-ever "Mentoring Night at the Palace" to watch the Pistons take on the Phoenix Suns. A special emphasis will be placed on mentoring throughout the evening.
- Mentor Michigan is awarding $15,000 in mini-grants to Michigan mentoring organizations to host mentor recognition or recruitment events or activities during Michigan Mentoring Month January 2011. These funds were raised during the Meijer Gift Card Promotion June 18 and 19, 2010. Meijer donated $2 to Mentor Michigan for every $25+ Meijer gift card purchased.
Mentoring Partnership of Minnesota
United Way Volunteer Center
TeamMates Mentoring Program (Lincoln)
Midlands Mentoring Partnership (Omaha)
- The Annual Mentor Conference and Mentor Recognition Luncheon will be January 20, 2011. Click on this link for details: www.mmpomaha.org.
- During Thank Your Mentor Day January 25, the Midlands Mentoring Partnership will continue their month-long public awareness and media campaigns by encouraging mentoring organizations to send mentor “Thank you” cards and conduct social media campaigns. The Partnership will have print ads and billboards recognizing mentors and businesses that support mentoring by providing financial support to mentoring organizations and/or by providing volunteer mentors.
- TeamMates of Omaha will be the Non Profit of the Month for the Omaha Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Group.
Volunteer Center of Bergen County (Hackensack)
- The Newark Mentoring coalition will partner with Brick City SERVES and the Office of the Mayor to host two mentor recruitment fairs. Brick City SERVES is a new program designed to mobilize and channel Newark's rich history of volunteerism and service. Newark, under the leadership of Mayor Cory A. Booker, is one of the first 10 cities to receive a Cities of Service Leadership grant.
- Launching mid-November, Brick City SERVES, along with Newark Mentoring Coalition and its member agencies, will provide one-to-one literacy-based mentoring to 180 second and third grade students attending the Newark Global Village School Zone, a cohort of seven Newark Public Schools located in the city's Central Ward.
- On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Brick City SERVES and the Newark Mentoring Coalition will host a Newark Day of SERVICE with the Newark Global Village School Zone students and their mentors.
Albuquerque Mentoring Collaborative
The Mentoring Partnership of Long Island (Hauppauge)
- This Partnership will use Facebook by hosting a contest starting in November for all the mentoring programs they work with, challenging them to get as many Facebook friends as possible to “like” them. Four winners will receive funds to throw a Thank Your Mentor party in January, which will be filmed, photographed and featured on Facebook in order to create buzz around National Mentoring Month and build the Partnership’s Facebook community.
The Mentoring Partnership of New York (New York)
North Carolina Mentoring Partnership, Operated byCISNC (Raleigh)
Mentoring Center of Central Ohio (Columbus)
The Mentoring Collaborative of Montgomery County (Riverside)
- The Mentoring Collaborative of Montgomery County will host Dr. Susan Weinberger of The Mentor Consulting Group as their major National Mentoring Month event keynote speaker.
Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence (Oklahoma City)
- On January 25, 2011, National Thank Your Mentor Day, the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence will present its annual David and Molly Boren Mentoring Award to an outstanding Oklahoma youth mentor during a special ceremony at the state capitol. The winner will be featured in a National Mentoring Month television PSA, and the foundation will donate $500 in the winner’s name to benefit his/her mentoring organization.
Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes (El Reno)
- January 2 is Oregon Mentors night at the Rose Garden when the Portland Trail Blazers play the Houston Rockets.
- A radio PSA with Greg Oden, Portland Trail Blazer and Oregon Mentors' spokesman, will air on Portland-area stations.
- Oregon Mentors will host a week of National Mentoring Month trainings for registered mentoring program staff and volunteers.
- "Good Deals for Good Deeds" quarterly coupons for discounted community activities will be distributed to thousands of mentors as a thank you for volunteering.
- Portland area mentor network meeting is scheduled to cover screening, interviewing and liability.
- A proclamation and thank-you letter from Oregon’s governor will be sent to mentors in appreciation of their efforts (tentative).
- A Guys Night Out male-focused mentor recruiting event in partnership with registered programs will be scheduled (tentative).
- A television campaign is planned for the NBC affiliate in Southern Oregon (tentative).
Southeastern Pennsylvania United Way s Campaign for Mentors (Philadelphia)
- PECO, the local public utility, will display on their building a daily message that can be seen from the main highways as well as from other locations citywide: “Change A Life, Be a Mentor. Call 1-866-Mentor-3.”
- Mentoring Night with the 76’ers will be January 28, when 150 youth and their mentors will share a game night at Wachovia Center with the 76’ers basketball team thanks to the generous sponsorship of Comcast-Spectacor. Promotional opportunities will be available via the Jumbotron during the game. Give-a-ways will also be available to participants.
- Shadowing Day 2011 will be February 9, with slots provided for company employees to have ninth grade students from Philadelphia public schools to shadow them for a day. This event serves as a pre-mentoring activity and “whets” the appetite of potential mentors. Shadowing Day is a partnership among United Way of Southeastern PA, Philadelphia Youth Network, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, and the School District of Philadelphia.
- WPVI-TV 6ABC will continue their traditional role as local media partner. Contacts will be made with the local office of Radio One to serve as radio partner. Each year local mentor-mentee pairs representing programs in our Providers Network are made available for newspaper, radio and TV spots. In addition, promotional efforts and announcements will be listed in our What Matters weekly electronic newsletter, which reaches more than 8,000 nonprofit organizations, government agencies, business leaders and elected officials.
- A mentoring hotline will receive calls via a toll-free telephone number to recruit potential mentors, arrange for training and refer callers to local mentoring providers. Calls are maintained in a database for intake and follow-up.
- The Mentor Training Institute fosters quality mentoring in relationships as well as program implementation. These monthly mentor trainings and trainings for mentor program staff will be vamped up in January and offered several times during the month. All training curricula are based on national standards of youth development and mentoring.
Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership (Warwick)
- The local NBC television affiliate, NBC 10, will broadcast a mentoring story during the news and then host representatives from the Rhode Island Mentoring Partnership in studio during the 5 p.m. newscast to answer questions about mentoring from callers.
- The Partnership will host Be the Change Night January 27, 2011, for mentors and supporters.
- The Memphis Mentoring Partnership/Grizzlies Foundation will launch a group mentoring pilot project January 19 and 20 at the Power Center Academy and Freedom Prep Academy.
- For Mentor Monday, January 17, mentoring will be promoted at the Grizzlies game, featuring recognition of one or more special guests (mentor/mentee pair, community partner or supporter of mentoring).
- January 31 will be Mentoring Night at the Grizzlies, with tickets provided to member groups for their mentors/mentees, special recognition during the game and participation of mentors/mentees in on-court activities and games.
Utah Mentoring Partnership (Salt Lake City)
Mobius, The Mentoring Movement (Burlington)
Fairfax Mentoring Partnership
Virginia Mentoring Partnership (Richmond)
Washington State Mentors (Issaquah)
- Washington State Mentors will conduct a Facebook campaign around the theme “100 mentors in 100 days.” Between January 1 and 25, they will post as many as four pieces a day with mentors and mentees from across the state talking about who mentored them. The goal is mentor recruitment and linking to websites and resources throughout the state.